Again this year, the City of Altoona will spray Monroe for mosquitoes this summer. The spraying will take place during the months of June, July, and August. The City of Monroe feels that mosquito control and your safety are important. While many citizens want the City to spray, others may not. If you do not want the City to spray your area for mosquitoes, or would like to be contacted prior to the spraying, please call City Hall at 259-2319. All spraying takes place after dark. The following dates for sprayings will be: May 28, June 25th, July 23th and August 27th. In case of rain mosquito spraying will take place on the following night.
Some helpful hints to limit mosquitoes in your yard are:
- Get rid of old tires, cans, buckets or anything that holds water.
- Fill or drain any low places in your yard.
- Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash.
- Cover trash containers to keep rainwater out.
- Empty wading pools at least once a week.
- Change water in birdbaths weekly.
- Keep grass short and shrubbery well trimmed.
- Inspect all window and door screens to make sure they’re “bug tight”.
- Stay indoors at times when mosquitoes are most prevalent: morning, dust and early evening.
- Use insect repellants.
For more information you may log onto www.epa.gov or contact City Hall.